Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some of My Teachers in Grade 10

Here are some of my teachers in Grade 10, with the exception of Sister Claudette in the bottom right hand corner. From the top row across: Miss Holland taught me Math. Next to her is Mrs. Kearns who taught me French. I never paid much attention, got good enough grades but it didn't light me on fire. Little did I know that I would be attending a French university, and I would be living half time in a French province, and that I would become fluently bilingual.

Mrs. Thompson in row 2 taught me History. One day she came to school with the new fad in hair style called streaking. She had a big streak of platinum running through her head. It wouldn't be unusual today, but back in the day it was different. Glenn McLaughlin walked in the class and was taken aback. He said politely "Good Morning Mrs. Zebra" and Mrs. Thompson burst into tears and fled the classroom. He meant no malice by what he said. Next to Mrs. Thompson is Mr. Gentry -- no further words needed -- one of the best teachers ever. I played the tuba for the two years that I took music. Damien O'Brien and Dennis Gleason who both played the euphonium used to bunch up chip bags and played basketball trying to dunk the chip bags in my tuba. They scored one day just as I was playing a low note, and the rattle caused Mr. Gentry to stop the band and see why I blew the rattley note.

The bottom row has Tony Meagher, who we all know went on to be a priest and a bishop. He taught me English. It was a low key class with lots of erudition. As previously mentioned, I never had Sister Claudette who is pictured next to Mr. Meagher.

No comments:

Post a Comment