Thursday, November 2, 2017

Heritage Oshawa Web Scrape - Memories of Oshawa - 1960's - 1970's Part 1



The Heritage Department of the City of Oshawa had a Memories of Oshawa web page.  It was taken down when they re-did their website and the content wasn't saved, but I web-scraped it to keep the memories of Oshawa alive during the time as Neil Young put it, when "all our changes were there".  Oshawa has changed drastically since those halcyon 1970's and my time at OCHS .  This is part 1 of the web scrape. More to come.



Posted by Mike
I've been thinking about this one for some time, does anyone remember trampolines outside at the south end ? of the Oshawa Centre. you paid a small amount and could bounce away ! I also remember going for groceries on fridays with my parents at Loblaws in the centre. there was a booth inside and I'd be treated to a hot dog and orange crush, my favourite.



Posted by John
I remember taking my CCM bicycle to Mr. Drayton's bicycle repair on Kenneth where ACE Upholstery is. It was dark inside, and he could fix it , but had I been riding over curbs, was his question. I assured him I had not of course a lie. He was as dark and foreboding as his shop.




Posted by John 
You could walk down Mary Street and look into the GM factory and watch them wet sanding the car bodies and staging them for the paint booth. Go on down to Karns Drug's lunch counter and have a hot dog & coke for 25 cents. Then to Regent theatre for the latest movie for 15 cents.



Posted by John 
Anyone remember Zolies Forum? Was a Disco in the OC back in the 70s, lights under the dance floor and the whole thing. :-) Learned a thing or two there when I was in public school maybe 11-12 years old. Buddy's older brother was the bouncer so we got in. What a blast, heard Blondie's Heart of glass for the first time there!


Posted by Jon
Incredible how things have changed for children. We rode our bikes without helmets and rode in cars without seatbelts. We could own a .22 rifle at age ten and a BB gun before that.

I thought nothing of going to the movies by myself at age eight(15 cents),and you could buy a pretty good balsa and tissue paper Easy Built model airplane kit (manufactured in Oshawa on Switzer Drive) for 25 cents at Joe Flynn's Sportsman's Shop or Pollards Hobby Shop.
We spent many an happy hour in the "Hills and Dales", a beautiful, wild meadow bounded by Rossland Road, Ritson, Hillcroft and the tracks of the Oshawa Railway's electric trolley line behind the backyards of Grierson Street. It seemed to run to the horizons to us,and was filled with milkweed,wild asparagus, mushrooms, dock, nettles and wild creatures of all kinds; a paradise for kids.Google tells me the little bit left is called Centennial Park...sigh.




Posted by Maralyn
One of the garage bands that I remember was the DuKanes with Frank Pollard, Bob Smerage, Bob Mitchel, Paul Scarko,( all from Oshawa) Billy Gogan and Bobby Rae. Another one was The Linconaires with many Oshawa boys in it. I went to two high schools there and lived there from the time I was two until I got married at twenty one and moved to Toronto. We are back in Durham now. Love the memories



Posted by Luke 
...have enjoyed reading many of the other entries....grew up near Connaught Park....attend SJ Philips and O'Neill...nice to see Karns Drugs posts....I remember Mr. Andrews from the 1960's and the delicious milkshakes from the "fountain" at the rear of the store...haven't seen any reference to Virginia's Fish and Chips (near Ontario Motor Sales) or Dancey's Shoes (Doug Wilson's now I believe)....any memories or photos of these two places...thanks again




Posted by Hendy 
I was born in Oshawa ..went to Holy Cross,OCCI,Port Perry High for one year them back to OCCI. Have memories of Ward's pool room, the "Four Corners" , Genosha Hotel(Harry's Hideaway)..Biltmore,Marks,& Regent theatres...lived most of the time on Cloverdale St. Barnhart's, The Jube, The Get, UAW dances on Sat afternoons...Geneva Park...Weekends at Greenhurst...LOL this has been fun! Thanks for the memories!


If you have a memory of Oshawa during these days, please leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Does anyone know where Geneva park ,in oshawa, was located? I have come across some old pictures of my "uncle" racing his motorcycle in the 1960's, at Geneva park. Also found some of the Ohawa race track. I've been told that was located at taunton and Wilson,north west corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was at the southwest corner of Ritson and Columbus roads. I attended Peremans public school at the corner of Harmony and Winchester in the early to mid '60s and we had a couple of school picnics there. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. Does anyone remember location of Geneva park in oshawa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ritson rd n and Columbus rd there is a new house there now

      Delete