Sunday, April 21, 2019

More Oshawa Memories From The OCHS Era

Today is Easter Sunday, 2019.  I'm getting tired of posting obituaries, so I thought that I would post some happier photographic memories from Oshawa, "The City That Moto-vates Canada". Here are some pics from the late 1960's and 1970's. Click on any pic to enlarge.

This was the Oshawa bus motif that I rode on going to high school. However the earlier branding during grade school was just blue and white and not as colourful.



And this is the style of bus that they transitioned too while I was in high school. Building the GO train and the terminus at Pickering was a big deal.


I don't recall listening to the music of the band pictured below. But if their album was available, it would surely be at Wilson & Lee music store downtown. I visited Wilson & Lee a couple of years ago, and the Wilsons were still there, still wearing suits like they did in my high school era. The Oshawa Times clipping is a blast from the past. I read it from cover to cover.


A view of downtown. Note the car styles. With the retail Armageddon caused by Walmart and big box stores, all of the stores depicted are dead.


The black & white pic below is of a band called The Things, playing at St. Gertrude's in 1967. A bit before my time, but it was the Renaissance of Rock 'n Roll and some of the best music of all time was created in my era.


The assembly line at General Motors in Oshawa. Most of my friends dads worked at GM, as did mine.



The GO train to Toronto was a big deal and big news when it debuted.


It was an interesting time in many respects during my OCHS era and the automobile scene was undergoing a transition as well. It was a move from the big boats and "Detroit Iron" to the smaller compact cars and the pic below reflects that. I am still of a fan of 1970's muscle cars.


I used to drive in through the General Motor campus from Park Road and see all of the new cars lined up ready for shipping. The automotive era at Oshawa, a history of over a hundred years, will soon be over.


 And this pic of a cop with a radar is almost comical. I shudder to think of the radiation from the electromagnetic spectrum emanating from the device that was so close to his head and body.

Happy Easter Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment