Sunday, March 8, 2020

Ivor Boyagoda's Email

The above is how I remember Ivor Boyagoda and the last that I saw of him when he signed my Grade 13 yearbook. Ivor was one of my favourite teachers (I had a list of cool and respected and he was on that list).  He taught what I thought was a cool subject, chemistry, and it was my pleasure to have him teach me for more than one year. I also got fabulous marks in his class.

Ivor sent me an email a couple of days ago. In that email, he sent notice of his son Randy's promotion at the University of Toronto (the notice is in the post below this one). The thought struck me that Ivor as a young man, looks more hip than his son.  Here is his email to me:

Hi Ken

Thank  you so much for  on line Dwyer alumni news/ history etc

Your work brings back fond memories of 60's 70' 80's , OCHS ,  ... the way we were.

One of the most memorable events at Oshawa Catholic High school  ( there are  many of them ) was going fishing during grade 13 last period  Chem class  to Wilmont creek with , Italo Labignan, John Crease , Marg Fitzpatrick, Serge Dupont ( ? )etc.  I phoned Shirley Smegal,  at the front office and said we are going  fishing and  that was it , no red tape etc

You mentioned University of Ottawa( i was not a student there  ) , It reminds me of my work as a chemistry lab instructor in 1967 ( Dr Conway's class ).

i know that you were a university  student there in the 80 's  ( year ?  )

My son Randy Boyagoda , former Dwyer student just got a promotion at U of T ,  asst : dean ( please see  attachment ) 

I thought i would  share this with you in case you consider this is an outstanding achievement of  a former Dwyer  student........ to include in Dwyer alumni news letter 

Thank You 

Ivor

You are welcome Ivor. I thanked you privately for your influence on my career, and I thank you publicly.

No comments:

Post a Comment