Sunday, May 31, 2009

On The Buses ... the continuum


Once again, I took a lot of pics of the inside geography of a school bus on the numerous school trips that we took. Is this face familiar to you? Any sort of name escapes me, but the face is familiar.

It reminds me of a story that I heard about Paris. Quasimodo, the bellringer of Notre Dame cathedral had just died. The priest in charge of bell ringing was taking applicants to replace him. One day an applicant showed up with no arms. The priest asked him how he could possibly ring the church bells. The applicant said that he would demonstrate.

The priest and the applicant climbed the belfry in the bell tower spire of Notre Dame. When they were close to a big bell, the applicant took a flying run, and hit the bell with his face. The big bell swung from the impact and let out a thunderous "Bongggggg!". At the end of its swing, it swung back. The hapless bellringer was hit by the return swing and thrown from the tower to the pavement below. Dead!

The priest ran down the steps. Already a crowd had gathered around the body. A policeman was present. The policeman asked the priest if he knew the name of the deceased. The priest replied "No, but his face rings a bell!".


If this face rings a bell with you, please leave a comment as to the name.

Update: Gloria Murrant left a comment saying that this is possible Teresa Sauter -- and it is. It was the bell rung that I needed to remember the name.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is Terry Sauter. I might be wrong but its my best guess.

    ReplyDelete