Thursday, January 28, 2010

Urban Studies and Other Locale Photos

Below is a series of photos that appear on my negative collection interspersed with student pictures of OCHS. They are images that I snapped of the locale -- Oshawa and environs during the 1970's. Some were done for my Urban Studies assignment on the coming of regional government (yes when I started high school, there was no region of Durham). Others are random shots that just grabbed my eye.

Stevenson Road and Eastdale (Doh !!!) R.S. McLaughlin Collegiate:
The above image came from Urban Studies Fly Day, where geography and Urban Studies teacher Blair Morris arranged for us to fly over Oshawa to look at city patterns. This shot is of Stevenson Road near the high school. You can see RS. McLaughlin Collegiate (thanks for the correction), and the Durham School Board building. The high school is just out of the picture in the upper left. Notice all of the empty fields around the school.


On the 401, going towards Toronto:
Strangely enough, I remember quite vividly taking this picture. We were on a school trip to Stratford, and I was sitting at the back of the bus with Mike Bukoski, and snapped this from the back window of the bus with my Yashica twin lens reflex camera.


The air traffic control tower at the Oshawa Airport:

Aerial shot of the 401 near Ajax:

Something that no longer exists:
With the coming of regional government, we would lose our counties. Oshawa was partly in Ontario County. For my Urban Studies assignments, I decided to snap pictures of the signs that would disappear. This one was taken on Bloor Street on a snowy winter day. Note the "Chargex" sign in the background. Chargex was the name of the Visa card before it was Visa.


Cherney's Furniture World:
While I was on Bloor Street on that winter day, I idly snapped this picture. The building was quite new, and now I believe that it is quite run down. In a lot of ways, I believe that Oshawa was more vibrant during the 1970's than it is now.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick note, you note in one of the above pictures "Stevenson Road and Eastdale", it is incorrectly identified, it should be Stevenson Road and RS McLaughlin High School.

    ReplyDelete