Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Arthur Chai

Arthur Chai taught algebra. He also taught me Computer Science in Grade 12. It was all done on paper from the blackboard, and in June we all traipsed down to Durham College for a field trip to use their computer. We punched cards in COBOL and ran minor programs on the mainframe there. (Considering what I became, I am ashamed to admit that my program wouldn't compile.)

I kept thinking "is this all there is to this computer business"? As the Chief Technology Officer of a financial services company in the Caribbean, I sometimes still have the same thought.

Art had the quiet aura of competence. He was also the guidance counsellor, and I understand he later became an entrepreneur.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Chai taught me computer science as well although I forget what grade. I recall doing flow charting and other "logic" lessons. I give great credit to him for where I am today. One of the dying breed of "select" mainframe software developers in Canada.
    Believe it or not, outside the silicone valley, Ontario is the next largest area of mainframe software development.
    Dan Dalby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Chai, Mike Taris and I went smelt fishing a few times down to lake Ontario even during the school week...lots of smelts and the beer was cold...was that wrong???

    ReplyDelete