Friday, April 10, 2009

Nun Getting Shot -- Sister Mary Buckley

Throughout my highschool career, I recieved numerous innoculations. One year, I was innoculated with some substance using a high pressure innoculator that didn't use a needle. It used compressed air to shoot the gamma globulin or whatever under the skin. We even had the inventor in to talk about how he got the eureka moment when an oil worker had some bubbling crude shot into his arm when a high pressure hose developed a pinprick. This invention was the submachine gun of needle-giving. The inventor was trying to raise the funds to take the thing to Africa to innoculate the whole continent in something like 36 hours.

The nun in this picture was Sister Mary Buckley. This had to be 1969, because she is still wearing the black habit.

Here is an excerpt from Sister Mary Buckley's online bio:

I am one of a very rare species: a fourth generation Torontonian. My great-grandparents, of Scottish and Irish families on both sides, arrived in Canada in the mid-1800s and settled in Toronto in what was then Cabbagetown (or Corktown, according to my mother's mother). When my parents married, my father moved one block up, my mother one block over. We were all members of St. Paul's parish, Toronto's oldest.

An only child, I was sent off to St. Joseph's College School, which I attended for eleven years (!!!!). Then came three years at St. Joseph's College and a year at the Ontario College of Education. I really needed a break from St. Joseph! And so for three years I taught primary classes in the Toronto elementary school system.

Finally God caught up with me and I started to pay attention to the voice I had been hearing for some time. I entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in September, 1956.

I continued teaching in half a dozen elementary and high schools over the next 30 years. After leaving teaching, I spent 10 wonderfully interesting years working for the newspaper, Catholic New Times.

My last years of teaching brought me back to my own high school. One thing that gave me great satisfaction was sharing the staff room with quite a number of young women who had been my students.

The entire text can be found here:
http://www.csj-to.ca/Join_us/sr_mary_buckley_story.php

No comments:

Post a Comment