Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sister Conrad Lauber


Sister Conrad Lauber was the principal for my five years at OCHS. She is a professed nun of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. Sister Conrad was a spirited, spunky leader. In this photo, she came out in a chilly fall day to see the team take on the Bowmanville Red Men.

In my estimation, Sister Conrad left large footprints as a principal, and as a nun.

An excerpt from Sister Conrad's bio reads:

My roots are in Toronto: born at St. Michael's Hospital, attended St. Joseph's College School and the University of St. Michael's College. In fact, it was during my quiet visits to the convent chapel after school that I fell in love with God and the rest is history. I interrupted my university education after one year to enter the convent on 89 Wellesley Street.


Although I had planned to be a social worker, the community needed teachers and so I was sent on to teach - a vocation I followed for 41 years. Ironically, while teaching, I found ample opportunities to work with students and families on personal issues to satisfy this longing in me.


After returning to school to complete a degree in English and philosophy, I was missioned to Colgan, a rural school in a town not on the map, with more cows and frogs than people. I would walk down to the creek with the Grade 10 students, pick up the frogs, bring them back to class for study, and then return them to the creek.


I taught high school for nine years: the subjects were mainly English as well as math and ancient history. The rest of the time, I was involved in debating, drama, sports, yearbook, student council, parent's association and anything else that was happening. I am a firm believer that there are considerably more opportunities for education/growth outside the classroom than inside.


After one year as vice principal of a Toronto high school, I moved to an Oshawa school as principal. When faced with possible closure due to lack of funding, we held a walkathon that was almost citywide and netted $56,000. We had a three-day fair that brought in about 1000 people each day. These fundraisers supported the school and also built community.


My next school was in Vancouver. In need of renewal, we initiated a walkathon that raised $30,000 with only 150 students and put the school back in contention.


My next move brought me back to Toronto. I was both vice principal and teacher, teaching English to many of the sons and daughters of former students.


This is where I started using a camera to build community. I would take pictures of each event, with as many people in them as possible, and post them. Some people would get their name in lights, others would see what was going on and what they had missed and then come next time. It was a way to recognize peoples' contributions: I snapped pictures of over 30 coaches so students could see their contribution.


My next move took me full circle, back to my alma mater, a girls' school. I missed the boys, but I rediscovered the value of an all female school as an environment where girls can grow as beautiful, committed, faith filled young women determined to make a difference in the world. A mix of 55 countries of origin and 45 languages, they celebrated their diversity in song, dance and cuisine. Our Congregation's motto is "The love of Christ has gathered us together" and I saw love in action at St. Joseph's.


After retirement I spent a year caring for my 92 year old dad, then became administrator of a college residence. What started as a part time job quickly grew into my main ministry. I am responsible for the finances, student fees, purchasing, maintenance, kitchen liaison, and working with the Dean, Sr. Anne Marie Marrin, in her interaction with the students. I meet weekly with the dean and dons, with the House Council who plan events, and am responsible for some 30 students on switchboard. It is in working with the 156 students and again building a community where the students can find a "home away from home" that I find my reward.

The complete text can be found here:

http://www.csj-to.ca/Who_we_are/Meet_us/meet_sister_conrad.php

No comments:

Post a Comment