Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Very First Principal - Sr. Mary Sheila

Sister Mary Sheila was the first ever principal.

I have to say that looking over these pictures of the nuns really takes me back to another time. I have an aunt who was a sister of St. Joseph, so I was used to seeing this garb from an early age. However, looking at it now, with the head dress, veil, the headcloth, white bib and the habit, it must have been onerous to wear.

When I was at OCHS, for 4 out of the 5 years, the nuns had switched habits to street clothes, and most of the pictures here of Sister Conrad Lauber, the next principal after Sr. Mary Sheila, are in civilian garb.

2 comments:

  1. Had her own style of keeping order...very no nonsense... very old school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Sister Sheila.In Grade 9 as I guess part of initiation,at her insistence, I had to keep repeating and writing on the blackboard this rhyme in front of the Grade 10's or 11's?(senior class then)until I realised I was saying,"Oh what an ass I am"She had a finger missing(all kind of stories why)and come May,the month of Mary,she would tell powerful stories that would make a believer out of anybody.Tough but lovable.

    ReplyDelete