Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Rare Color Shot from the 1970's

Almost most of my archives were shot with black and white film. In the 1960's and early 1970's colour film and processing was extremely expensive compared to black and white. I could process my own black and white film, and working in the Eaton's camera department at the Oshawa Center all through my high school years, gave me access to film with an incredibly generous employee discount.

However, by the late 1970's, black and white was going out of vogue. In his 1973 hit song Kodachrome, Paul Simon announces that "everything looks worse in black in white". (It was also the song with the opening lyrics: "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, it's a wonder that I can think at all").

That aside, pictured above in multi-splendorous colour, Bev Smyth is pictured outside, in the snow on Camera Day. Ironically for me, almost every day was camera day.

No comments:

Post a Comment