Sunday, May 2, 2010

Christmas Dance and Sunday Morning Oshawa Memories

I received an email about the Downchild Blues Band blog entry from a couple of days ago. In part it read:

"The pictures of Downchild Blues Band are cool. You know what, that was the year that Leo Barrett and I were social conveners on the student council.. I think it may have cost us $500 or $600 to book them for the night. What would it cost today?

All right, keep on posting !!"

Thanks John for that note.

I have a pic of the Christmas Dance and party of 1973.
Left to right are Karen Smegal, Kathleen O'Halloran, Gloria Murrant, Cindy Germanis, Bob Hickey surrounded by all of the girls, Judy McLinton and Helen Rosicki.


And some Sundays, I try to bring memories of Oshawa of the 1970's. I popped this frame of the Oshawa Flying Club just as the aircraft was getting airborne on our Urban Studies Fly Day arranged by teacher Blair Morris.


And I wanted some pics of urban decay in Oshawa. I snapped the pic below on Mary Street of the GM plant there. It really wasn't urban decay, but believe it or not, it was the worst I could find of decay in Oshawa. Sadly, the situation is a lot different now.

And the email brought some other pleasant happenstance. The blog entry profiling Paul Grady brought an interesting present, in the form of a song written by Paul. The subject is Oshawa:


The Streets of the Town

Paul Grady

The streets of this town

Don't boast a Carnaby

No waterways or sidewalk cafes will you see

Just smoke from the factory, blowin' by a lonesome tree

But as I walk down

The streets of this town

Something calls to me

The streets of this town

Do not host royalty

or cause a man to write a symphony

Just honky tonk songs

After one more working day

But as I walk down

The streets of this town

I can see them sway

Cause each house has a light that shines, faithfully

Lights the true way home

For each one of the family

The streets tonight are quiet and serene

And dream a dream of things that night have been

Sitting so humble broken for no happy cause

But as I walk down

The streets of this town

I can see what was


Thank you all for your correspondence and have a happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment