Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Herbert Gentry the Comic

One of the most surprising things about Herbert Gentry was his sense of humour. At the talent shows, he would do a comedy routine that had us in stitches. Most of the other time, he was quite prim and proper. In this photo, I caught Mr. Gentry doing his foppish Englishman routine.

I had always wondered about Mr. Gentry's background and biography. Thanks to his great granddaughter and his grandson, I now have a fairly full picture of his background, and why he was so old when he taught. Teaching music was his second career after retirement. Mr. Gentry went back and earned a teaching certificate after retiring from General Motors. He was an amazing man. I will have a full biography on him, when I transpose his retirement article in the Oshawa newspaper at age 84. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment