Sunday, October 13, 2019

Oshawa Memories: 1960's & 1970's

So I got a little tired of printing OCHS alumnus obituaries, so I did another webscrape of Oshawa memories during those halcyon salad days when we were in high school there. Without further ado:


Steve Thompson
Do you remember the arcade at the O.C.?


Derek Snelgrove
I spent some time in Oshawa some 40 years ago . We met some real cool people there. Harrys Hideaway Bar was, the bees kneez! As was the Carousel bar.

Lori McKendrick
The Villa, across from Central Collegiate. The Genosh, My Sisters Place. Corkys. Main Street. Mothers Pizza. Flying Squirrel. Woodys. The Tartan.


Sharon McIlhargey
Mickey Finn's. Jubilee Pavilion wedding receptions. Kmart Plaza car shows.


Mike Lee
The Rosebowl had the best shoestring French fries... and how about the outdoor skating rink in North Oshawa...the best of the shoeshine guys on Simcoe street just up from the 4 corners.


Sandy Cuffy
Jury and Lovell Drugstore
Woolworths
Dairy Queen on Simcoe Street across from Central Collegiate
GM Picnics with rides at Lakeview Park
Drive-in theatre on Thorton Road
The Oshawa Times Building Fire
I even remember when The Oshawa Centre was one level and had an opening where the roof was and you had to wear your winter coats while shopping. My mom had a picture of us there once. I was about 4 or 5.


Wendy Mchappy
The Shops up top had a great record store. Kresges, Lil' Bo Peep, Tats Tavern, The Red Baron restaurants in the OC.. also Sears and Eatons had their own restaurants. All of them made the Centre Burger.. would love that recipe as you cannot get it anymore.

Kresge's on Simcoe near the four corners, Laura Secords on the southeast corner, Woolworths up the street, the Metropolitan, Young Moderns, Henderson's Book Store, The Globe on King St.


Janice Wilson-Fontaine
I grew up in Oshawa. Childhood ,I remember it for being ,such a lovely city. The older downtown stores,were wonderful to me to shop at.There was nothing dirty, or armpit,shwa, about it, as you say.Thats ignorant people being degrading,it's all on them.Like any growing city it has it share of problems.Then help the underprivileged, quit complaining. I'm proud of living in Oshawa,I do my part to help. Try it ,it's very rewarding.

Michele Buller
Rose bowl best fish &chips, cherry coke.


Wendy Mchappy
I remember the downtown hotels that were really rooming houses... The Queen's Hotel, and Genosh. Although the Genosh had a great restaurant at one time with a Sunday buffet. Also Magic Car and roller skating halls...Caesar's Palace and the one on Athol that used to be the Loblaws. You had to walk down 2 flights of stairs, pay, get your skates, then walk up 2 flights of stairs to the rink!


Brad Alexander
I remember when the OC was a totally outdoor mall. Mom would take me shopping for clothes at St Michael’s there and the ventilation was so bad I would fall asleep. LOL


Debbie Woods
I remember the OC when Dominion grocery store was still there by the theatre and you could get a piece of apple pie with a scoop of ice cream and a small coke for 25 cents. My parents took us to the Bo Peep restraunt for dinner once in a while - it was a BIG treat to dress up and go out for dinner then.

(pic stolen from John Barker's blog: https://soundingsjohnbarker.wordpress.com/)

Pat Poirier
Do any of you remember The Red Barn or The South End Tavern? Spent a lot of fun times at both these places... lol


Barry Oso Mosko
We use to own the North Golf Oshawa Driving Range north Simcoe Street !


Tony Woodcock
I remember when the OC was a strip mall and to walk to school you had to go across the parking lot that was filled in by the Sears store, about 1967




"Our High School days may have been short and temporary in our lives, but the memories are forever."

3 comments:

  1. Great job as usual, Ken.

    This "Oshawa Memories: 1960's & 1970's" post brought back some interesting memories. Best wishes,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. It used to have Kresge Department store as well. Fond memories of shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I shopped with my parents at the OC when it was a strip plaza and all outside. I still remember being in awe when they eventually closed it all in.
    As I got older I frequented the Zollies bar in the basement of the OC. Hangouts were bars in the Queen's, Carousel and Genosh Hotels. Also was a regular at Main St, The Tartan, The Auto Pub, Durham Arms, in the basement of the British Bulldog...
    Corky's was the GM employee hangout.
    Those were great times before computers and cell phones. Fun times reliving those days.

    ReplyDelete