Friday, March 5, 2010

Mixed Bag

I have a bit of a mixed bag today. In the first picture, I have Jack Cole holding a basketball, conferring with Tony Meagher. This was the Anthony Meagher that taught English for a few years at OCHS, then went and joined the priesthood, rising to rank of Bishop.


The next series of photos are a bit of whimsy about some of the textbooks in my high school career at OCHS. The classic English textbook was "Man and His World".

When I started highschool, only the first two grades (9 and 10) were supported by the provincial education system. Hence after that, one had to contribute with money, and the purchase of books. This particular specimen was well used. I believe that the majority of writing on the left hand side is my brother's handwriting.



The Latin textbook (Latin was taught by Sister Marie Howorth) is a lot cleaner. I guess that it had a less used shelf life than any other subject. Latin had the distinction of being a tough course (am I speaking Latin to you or what?).


Per Jupiter , illa statua refero bonus monumentum of dies preteritus.
(By Jupiter, these images truly bring back the memories of days gone by).


What is not visible in the photo of the inside of the book is the price. It was cut off but on the original it is still written in pencil. This textbook cost $2.59 brand new. In Rome, they would have said "Is est talis aliquantum" - (it's such a good deal!).


1 comment:

  1. Bringing back many memories, Ken. I remember using the text MAN AND HIS WORLD in Grade 12 and 13. Obviously, that title would not be published in the schools today. Additionally, I remember taking Grade 10 Latin at the school as well.

    ReplyDelete