Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Murder Most Foul

The school has changed forever. I never thought that I would live to see the day. I just got a note from John Coleman telling me that one Dwyer student has murdered another one. Brutally stabbed to death.

As John said, the school is not the same anymore. This news is shocking. While my rational mind tells me that the descent to Hell is the same from every place, I never thought the school would ever become a point of embarkation for this kind of hell.

What has the world come to? What has become of the character and spirit of the people who make up the student body, and hence the school? What has become of the esprit de corps that bound us together in a brotherhood and elevated us all?

I quote my friend John again: "Sorry to have to share that news, but it means a lot to anyone in town and maybe even a little more to us who went to school there. Christian values and all, but the world has changed a lot."

One would think that the school would imbue its students with the armour of life that would prevent murder most foul. Apparently not. As Marcus Tullius Cicero wrote over two thousand years ago, the enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend. The idea is unthinkable and I am shocked.

To Mike McDonald, may the earth lie lightly on your tender sixteen years, and may you rest in peace.



Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.

1 comment: